2019 Report as given by outgoing President Bonita Allen at Convention 2019
It is now my honor and duty to present the Report of the President. This report is given so all members are informed of what the President and the Board of Managers have done to further the Mission of PTA and to continue the long history of advocating for children. A visual slideshow illustrating Pennsylvania PTA’s accomplishments over the past two years accompanies this written report (and is available for viewing at https://www.papta.org/domain/6).
Two years ago we began “Building Bridges” at the 2017 Pennsylvania PTA Convention in Pittsburgh. We talked about building partnership bridges, building communication bridges, and building advocacy bridges…
Building Partnership Bridges:
- We continued to nurture, strengthen and celebrate existing partnerships.
- In honor of the 2018 Winter Olympics, Pennsylvania PTA partnered with Partners for Public Education, sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Education Association (PSEA), to host the My Teacher is An Olympian Contest for students in grade K-3.
- PA PTA partnered with National PTA and Office Depot/Office Max for a Back to School Rally in Philadelphia presenting 1,000 backpacks to children in a high poverty Title I school.
- Pennsylvania PTA’s Banner in support of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School relayed words from the 1899 founding of PTA in our state and read, “We Stand Strong Together As One”.
- PA PTA partnered with the National Road Safety Foundation (NRSF) to host the Distracted Walking Poster Contest for students in grade 1-6.
- The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) reached out to PA PTA to partner on several new and continuing initiatives over the past two years. These included opportunities to offer parent and family feedback and/or provide statewide training, participating on Governor Wolf’s Task Forces and spreading the word about Twitter Town Halls and other events.
Building Communication Bridges:
- Pennsylvania PTA learned new tools, techniques, strategies and best practices & explored new technologies.
- PA PTA provided MemberHub, a communication software program and platform, FREE to all Pennsylvania PTAs, and PA PTA also sponsored monthly membership incentives.
- Pennsylvania PTA celebrated Regional, Statewide and National Reflections winners.
- PA PTA started a new tradition: The Pennsylvania PTA 2019 New Year Greeting Card featuring a student’s Reflections art on the front side of the card!
- Pennsylvania PTA board representatives and members attended the 2018 National PTA (NPTA) Convention in Las Vegas, NV and the 2019 NPTA Convention in Columbus, OH.
Building Advocacy Bridges:
- We promoted advocacy together by visiting U.S. Representatives and Senators, speaking at events throughout the Commonwealth, and chartering new PTAs that help us grow and expand our ability to make a difference in the lives of children and families.
- Pennsylvania PTA spoke on behalf of parents and families at a press conference for “Public School Week” in the Senate during the 2018 National PTA Legislative Conference.
- In October 2018, PA PTA spoke on behalf of parents and families at a “Bullying Prevention” rally in the Pennsylvania State Capitol rotunda (hosted by our partner, the Pennsylvania Statewide Afterschool Youth Development Network).
- In December 2017 PA PTA was the topic of a 30-minute Focus on Education show on the Pennsylvania Cable Network (PCN).
- In 2018 PA PTA cohosted the Focus on Education television show with our partner, the Education Policy and Leadership Center.
- Since February 2019 Pennsylvania PTA has created and hosted the 30-minute Focus on Education television show airing on PCN the 2nd Sunday of each month at 7:30 a.m.
- In January 2019 Pennsylvania PTA began Zoom Video Conferences monthly, providing an opportunity for our members to learn more about a different topic each month.
- And most importantly, Every Person with a membership card is now automatically a Voting Delegate!
Thank you, Pennsylvania PTA Board of Managers and every Delegate and Member across the Commonwealth!
And always remember to HAVE FUN!
We are PTA and together we put the PA in PTA!